Saturday 24 March 2018

Shin splints and pantry moths


A week of non-running, except for a nice 8km on Thursday. I got a mild cold over last weekend, and decided to avoid running Sun-Mon-Tue as a precaution. On Wednesday, I was feeling better, but childcare duties kept me at bay.


I then went for a run on Thursday morning, and later in the afternoon I started developing a sharp pain in my right shin. I thought I might have previously hit it, while carrying my son's bags and skateboard on the bike uphill from his school back home -  but it got worse and worse. Two days later, it still hurts a lot and it's now even a bit swollen. It didn't help that I spent this afternoon cleaning the deck and cutting tree branches in the garden, of course.


I looked it up - apparently it's a typical runner issue, due to over training. Neither box was ticked, as I only had one moderate run on Thursday, and never experienced this kind of problem before. Then, I realised it could have been the shoes I was wearing - just two days before I had bought a pair of new sandals - Orthaheel Waveslide - looked cool and comfy, and discounted. But they are too archy, with a significant drop,

Picture 1 of 1
After two days without running, today my shin hurts more than ever - after a full day wearing those sandals! I've read that high heels in general are not good on the shins ... So, I'll put them on ebay, and buy a pair of proper ozzie flip-flops.

 During the week, I've kept working on my core at home, and today I did a quick but efficient swim session at the pool. At breakfast, we found a few moths in the kitchen pantry (and in our cereals..), so we went to buy one of those sticky traps.



Image result for avatar movie

The pantry looked quite when I walked in. I proceeded to opening the trap, and while I was still fidgeting with it, a little cloud of flying beings started to surround me... I suddenly felt like a character in the movie Avatar.

So far, we've counted 14 moths stuck on the gluey sheets!




Hopefully, next week I'll manage to write more about my running and less about my kitchen shenanigans.

No comments:

Post a Comment